Saturday, October 15, 2005

More Lubavitch good work

What ever your opinion of them, chabad each and every day work hard to-

San Bernardino Sun:

Gary Goltz's life had fallen into the pits of hell.
"When the rabbi called me, I said, 'I've tried everything else. Why not try God?' "
That was a year ago, when someone close to Goltz was addicted to drugs and living on the streets. Reconnecting with his Jewish roots proved a miracle.
Thursday, for the first time since he was bar mitzvahed, the 52-year-old Upland resident celebrated Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the Jewish year...
Goltz attended Chabad of the Inland Empire services at the Marriott Hotel in Ontario. He repented for his sins, reflected on life's disappointments and mourned the death of several close friends. At the rabbi's request, Goltz held high the Torah for the 150 Jews in attendance to see...
"I grew up with a lot of hypocrisy in Judaism," Goltz said. "But I came over here, and these guys are the real thing."
What he calls "the real thing" is Chabad of the Inland Empire. Chabad is led by Rabbi Sholom Harlig, who was connected to Goltz by their mutual barber.
The rabbi, who is 41, has taken the older man as his pupil. The two the Chasidic Harlig and the secular Goltz study the Torah together about once a month.
"He's really coming back home," Harlig said....
I feel very strongly I don't know what you want to call it: God, divine intervention, karma, mitzvah that I was in deep despair and something happened. I'm not going to be one of these people who says, `Oh, it was just coincidence' and ignores it," Goltz said. "The water parted there for me."
posted by Yeshiva Orthodoxy
at 8:23 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home