Friday, October 14, 2005

Queen Amidala fasted

N.Y. Daily News from a newly released book:

Movie star Natalie Portman fasted yesterday for Yom Kippur, the Jewish Day of Atonement.
"I really like eating," the 24-year-old beauty tells author Abigail Pogrebin in "Stars of David: Prominent Jews Talk About Being Jewish," her new book.
"But a couple years ago, one of my friends got really mad at me and it happened on Yom Kippur," Portman confides. "It made me go through the actual atonement list on that day, and the hunger associated with it is really helpful. … You think about how you've wronged your friends and how you should change in the future."

The Israeli-born, Syosset-raised Portman also opines:
"I know what a JAP [Jewish American Princess] is. … I wouldn't want to have stereotypes used in derogatory ways by people outside the Jewish community, but I think it is something from within the community that we need to examine and be self-critical about. … Do [our young people] know or care about the outside world? Do they know or care about things other than having a nice car or a nice purse?"
"I think the major problem today with American Jews is materialism."
"I don't think that any one characteristic should be overemphasized in your real life when you're an actor, because if I play a nun one day, I don't want someone to be thinking when they see me, 'Jew, Jew, Jew.' "
"I have a very close friend who lately has this European, anti-Israel way of thinking, and it's very hard to have conversations with him. … [Being Israeli has] become a much bigger part of my identity in recent years because it's become an issue of survival."
"My dad always makes this stupid joke with my new boyfriend, who is not Jewish. He says, 'It's just a simple operation.' "


Israel is so much part of her "idendity" that she's dating a non jew.
posted by Yeshiva Orthodoxy
at 2:28 PM

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...


Israel is so much part of her "idendity" that she's dating a non jew.



Does your nose point to the sky when you say that?

3:31 PM  
Blogger Yeshiva Orthodoxy said...

If you disagree with my comment about her dating a non jew, I’m afraid Judaism is far removed from you.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you disagree with my comment about her dating a non jew, I’m afraid Judaism is far removed from you.

Hardly. FWIW, you seem to get kick out of denigrating a Jew (whom the Torah requires you to love, BTW) who was inspired to do a mitzvah.

Only 20% of the yidden made it out of מצרים. You and people of your ilk are determined to make sure that only 20% make it out of this גלות.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Yeshiva Orthodoxy said...

I'm sorry you feel that way about me and my "ilk".
To quote the famous philosopher, Tina Brown, "what's love got to do with it". It's about Jewish law.
Do you realy believe you can't denigrate a jew who is dating a non jew?

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

>To quote the famous philosopher, Tina Brown, "what's love got to do with it".

Uh, that would be Tina Turner.

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you realy believe you can't denigrate a jew who is dating a non jew?

Where's your מקור for this?

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

>I'm sorry you feel that way about me and my "ilk".

I doubt you really feel sorry. Still and all, what do you hope to accomplish by trivalizing the steps, albeit small, that a fellow Jew is taking to greater מצוה observance?

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

> >To quote the famous philosopher, Tina Brown, "what's love got to do with it".

Everything. Loving your fellow Jew is the one מצוה you cannot bring yourself to do. That attitude is on a par with the pick-and-choose מצוה observance evidenced in other quarters of the Jewish people.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Yeshiva Orthodoxy said...

Didn’t mean to confuse the Tina’s. Please don’t tell Bobby Brown.
You seem like a good hearted person and I appreciate your commenting.
While I am no halachic expert, pointing out an intrinsic Jewish contradiction, i.e. Portman discussing her “Jewishness” while dating a non Jew, doesn’t seem to make me in violation of the Torah’s precept on “loving…’.
If your rabbi disagrees I’d like to know.

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home