Thursday, October 27, 2005

Simchas Torah in Lakewood

Two bloggers spend Simchas Torah, in America's Capitol of Torah:
...Watching the men dance and sing, I was struck by the joy they felt at celebrating Torah. It was like being at a wedding (without live music) where the Torah was the chosson and kallah wrapped in one. Or maybe each of the men was the chosson and Torah the kallah. It really was beautiful to watch. The kids joined in, jumping up and down, singing and dancing and having a great time...
...I was in Lakewood (soon to be my parents' new home) for yom tov. I have to say emphatically that Flatbush is better (trust me, it pains me to say Flatbush is good for anything). The hakufos in the shul I davened last only and hour and half, but we still managed to finish at 3:30 (or so I assume since I left after kedusha because the guy was going all out with his Rosh Hashana adaptation). And the other shuls in the area ended just as late...

At one point (about 3) a kid told his father he was hungry. The father responded, "What do you want me to do? Throw up so you have something to eat?" Well, that was pretty much what the baal korei did (right before he had to carried home)....

It depends on your outlook.
posted by Yeshiva Orthodoxy
at 4:39 PM

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

when I was in Lakewood for simchas torah years ago, the bochurim were wilde chayos who trampled anyone in their way.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Yeshiva Orthodoxy said...

Anyone got killed?

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in Lakewood for S"T and I thought it was very nice. I wasn't at they Yeshiva though...

8:03 PM  
Blogger Yeshiva Orthodoxy said...

It is very nice, thank you. Compared to Satmar in Wiliamsburg!

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home