Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Former NFL player becomes frum

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has an interview with a former football player who became an orthodox jew!
Alan Veingrad, an offensive lineman for the Green Bay Packers from 1986 to 1990, has turned from football to faith since retiring from the National Football League in 1993. These days, he talks to Jewish organizations around the country about his journey from being a secular Jew to an observant Orthodox Jew. After Green Bay, he played two seasons with the Dallas Cowboys; he was a backup player on the Super Bowl-winning team in 1993.

....Q: You say that, after you retired, a cousin invited you and your family to a Shabbat, or Sabbath, dinner. Then he got you to attend a Torah study session in a home. What happened next?

A: The rabbi started talking, and I was not really paying attention. I was really focused on the magnitude of this particular doctor's house that I was in. I was focusing on the materialism of his house. Right towards the end of the class, the rabbi started talking about materialism and about envy and I really started to pay attention, and it really kind of woke me up, and I started to go to every class. . . . And I realized that right in front of me as a Jew was this thing they called the Torah, and it really provided so much inspiration, so much insight and meaning.

Q: Another turning point was a story the Fort Worth Star-Telegram wrote about you in 2003, in which you talked about your martial arts, kayak fishing, scuba diving and other activities?

A: I read that story and thought that I had a very shallow existence. At the same time, I was starting to spend time with some of the Chabad rabbis here in south Florida, going to their homes for (Sabbath), starting to interact with other Jewish families. And I was really inspired . . . and I decided to make changes in my life.
posted by Yeshiva Orthodoxy
at 2:03 PM

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So is he a Lubavitcher now or stam a yid ?

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He went from Pig skin to Fore skin...

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home